Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The only good thing about Stylista?


(Photo credit: xxccxxxccccccxxxx via flickr)

It's kind of funny to me that for how many times I've told my story of why I moved to Boston, I've never made mention here. Maybe because I don't go for the personal on this blog, unless it's what I've worn on that day (or a few days previously). Anyway, I moved to Boston from Wheeling, WV, so I could attend the MA in Publishing and Writing program at Emerson College. During my junior year (undergrad at West Liberty State College--Go Hilltoppers!...?) I was kind of at a loss for what direction I wanted to take, but I knew I didn't want to lose my health insurance, so grad school seemed like the obvious choice. I was surprised to find a program like Emerson's in that you could concentrate on the publishing industry, but the classes still had a creative bent. It also made my dreams seem attainable, namely, working in magazine publishing.

I've been a compulsive magazine reader from the tender age of 8 with my first subscriptions to Ranger Rick and Barbie. After that came Teen, Seventeen, Sassy (for a little bit anyway), and eventually Mademoiselle, Glamour, and my mom's Cosmo which she hid under the bed. Currently I subscribe to Vogue (American and French), Domino, Lucky, Allure, Elle, Nylon, and the New Yorker (and one day I'm going to actually read it!). I also pick up fairly regularly InStyle, Marie Claire, Planet, Stop Smiling, and Esopus. I've been looking for Amelia, but I haven't been able to find it lately. All right, all right, you get the point.

So I was thinking that I would LOVE Stylista. Those idiotic twats wouldn't last one day working for a magazine. Forget all the fashion nonsense, those kids are dumber than a bag of rocks.

It's funny to me, because while I try to be critical on the blog, I try not to be negative. I mean, the Fug Girls have cornered that market, so I try not to be "oh no you didn't!" But give me a break.

When Kate Lanphear was announced as the guest judge for the week though, I literally gasped! She is the epitome of chic, and she's one of my biggest influences.

Yeah, I'll probably keep watching, but not only I was not inspired on a sartorial level, I was disgusted by the triviality. Srsly. Did anyone else watch? What are your opinions?

Soap box much? Sorry for the rant and the quietness on the blog as of late. No, I didn't get anything at the YSL sale on Rue La La--I forgot about it! Can you believe that? There was one tiny purse that I would have been interested in, but it was still a little pricey. I did get a pair of Wolford leggings from today's sale though (purple lace!) that I'm hoping to pair with a black jersey dress and blazer a la Lanphear. We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree.I mean that girl Megan does she even know what assistants do?How can you even think that as an assistant you wont be getting you boss's coffee?I mean how cynical of her!THE only good thing was Kate Lanphear even if she spoke like 3 words she was the best part of the show.Anne Slowey looked like a total ass.
I mean could she have been anymore superficial, self-inportant,up her own butt?
but I def think that this would be like own of those shows like the hills that you just have to watch just to poke fun and critize those mindless losers.