Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Playing Hooky with Wilson

OK, neither of us were actually playing hooky. Yesterday was Wilson's day off, so I took a vacation day. Our conflicting schedules mean I don't see him nearly as much as I'd like to!

I tagged along with him on errands, and I got to go to Grasshopper for lunch! Hooray! How did I get to go there with the curmudgeonly omnivore? Wilson misunderstood my response to his question: Only vegan food? I said it's Asian food so it doesn't matter, and he took that to mean there was meat. What I really meant is that in most Asian dishes, I think it's all about the preparation, sauces, and spices, and I don't think one can tell so much if you're eating chicken or gluten. Finally, an instance where something is lost in translation and I gain!

DSC_0011
Wilson, look happy about eating vegan food!
We were still in time for the lunch specials, so I ordered the Battered Gluten with Steamed Vegetables in Sweet and Sour Sauce. Wilson kind of refused to order, asking for "vegetables and rice" only. Well, that's what he got—Stir-fried Assorted Fresh Vegetables and white rice. Mine came with a Hot and Sour Soup starter, and I chose a side of brown rice. 

DSC_0008
Spicy Hot and Sour Soup
The Hot and Sour Soup was really tasty. (I'm learning it's difficult to capture how tasty some food is in a picture though; sorry if this looks a little gross!)

DSC_0007
No Name listed on lunch menu as Battered Gluten in Sweet and Sour Sauce with Veggies
My main dish was basically a smaller portion of Grasshopper's famous "No Name." The lunchtime portion means I only have enough for two meals instead of four.

DSC_0010
Stir-fried Assorted Fresh Vegetables
Wilson ordered for the regular menu, so he was given enough food for four meals.

We left full and happy; although, Wilson did mention that he'd pay me back for tricking him. (The vegan kids know what I'm talking about.) But hey, it'll all work out in the end. 

No comments: